Monday, November 8, 2010

Reasoning Examples

Reasoning by Analogy- Jo gets good grades and he studies a lot.  Jane studies a lot.  Jane will get good grades. 
Sign Reasoning:  If there is stopped traffic on the freeway, then there is probably a traffic accident.
Causal Reasoning: If you don’t do any of your homework in any of your classes, you will not get good grades.
Reasoning by Criteria: You want to look good for all the ladies, so you should wear this shirt tonight.
Reasoning by Example:  You shouldn’t take the bus to school.  I have to take the bus and it is a huge waste of time. 
Inductive Reasoning: We have gotten out of class at least fifteen minutes early every day this semester, so we will get out at least fifteen minutes early tomorrow.
Deductive Reasoning: If you miss your registration date you won’t get classes.  You missed your registration date.  You don’t get any classes.

5 comments:

  1. Hey wanderwonder, I liked how you directly gave out the examples for each reasoning. You gave a lot of examples that I could personally relate to when I am in any situation linked to the ones you explained. For example, I find causal reasoning to be one of the reasonings that has happened to me a lot especially in high school and college. In high school, I remember when my teacher telling me to do my homework assignments in order to get good grades. Also, my counselor telling me to get good grades in order to make it into a good school was another example of causal reasoning. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m surprised at how many examples you came up with that I personally experience in my everyday life. Using examples that relate to school, classes and transportation allow us as students to gain a greater understanding of each type of reasoning. Some of the forms of reasoning like Sign Reasoning were initially confusing to me, but after reading your example on traffic and doing some additional research, it has become much clearer to me. I also especially liked your example of registering for classes for deductive reasoning because rather than the philosophical example; it gives students a modern look at this form of reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey wanderwonder! I liked how you came up with all of these examples with people that actually encounter in every day life. I also encounter some of these examples almost every morning I commute to class. For example, your sign reasoning example. Every time I commute to school every morning, I always drive when there is an accident that is a couple miles away from where I live. Since I only commute every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I will have a better chance of hitting traffic on the way to school. Thanks for the great and understanding examples you gave. It was very clear to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I really like these examples that you came up for each of these reasoning. It was really to understand them and also relate to them. I heard most of these examples with my friends. The examples you use for causal reasoning, sign reasoning, inductive, and reasoning by example are the most common ones that I often hear in my experience. I often hear my sister using the same sign reasoning that you use in this post. Some of these forms confused me at first but after reading your post it help me out. Anyway, you did a great job with coming with great examples.

    ReplyDelete