Saturday, November 6, 2010

Guilt

An appeal to emotion that particularly stands out to me is trying to guilt someone into something.  Unfortunately, however pathetic it is when people pull this kind of thing, it happens all the time.  People love to hold things over someone’s head and play off of their want to make everyone happy.  If someone makes you feel like a bad person for not doing something by bringing up a previous time where they feel they did something to “earn” this favor from you, it probably means that they ran out of other arguments and had to resort to something of this sort in order to squeeze the favor out of you.  People should refrain for making this type of argument because it is annoying to the person receiving it, and because I feel is discredits your reputation as a good arguer.  It’s much better to come up with an actual reason you want someone to do something for you instead of trying to guilt them into it. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your view on how guilt is not a good reason to get "someone to do something for you."

    I also feel that guilt should not be a reason for someone to back off from their initial point of view.

    For example:

    Jace: I really liked George W. Bush as our president because he was able to capture Saddam Hussein from plotting any terrorist attacks.

    Phil: Yea, that is a good thing, but you know that Bush is against abortion right? You supporting Bush is basically standing by against abortion.

    Jace: I am all for pro-abortion though. I don't want people to think that I am against abortion just because I support Bush. Change that thought, I no longer favor Bush as one of my favorite presidents.



    --> Jace, who initially supported Bush, has now shied away from his belief because he did not want others to think he was against abortion just because he favors Bush. The guilt that Phil brought on Jace by saying that supporting Bush is supporting abortion is a not a fair way to convince Jace to change his point of view.

    ReplyDelete