Saturday, September 11, 2010

Test Arguement

The argument I am going to test is “My dad listens to his music really loud. Also, my dad is hard at hearing. He is hard at hearing because he listens to his music too loud.” The first test is to check the premises for plausibility. My dad listening to his music really loud is very plausible and believable, especially if you knew my dad. The fact that my dad is hard at hearing is plausible, but slightly vague because hard at hearing could be maybe he just doesn’t listen to me as well when I am talking to him, or it could mean he is almost deaf. It doesn’t really specify. The second test is to make sure the premises are more probable than the conclusion. I think that the premises are more probable than the conclusion because the hearing damage could have been caused by many other things rather than listening to loud music, although it is still a strong argument. It cannot be valid though because of the fact that saying my dad is hard at hearing is too vague, and also because there are other ways that he could have hurt his ears. This argument is strong.

1 comment:

  1. Heyy! The argument of listening to music causing people to lose their hearing is actually pretty interesting to me. I remember not to long ago, I read an article on Yahoo News about the rate of kids losing their hearing going up. In the article it said that this can be caused by kids listening to their music to loudly. The article mostly focused on kids listening to music on a personal music device such as an iPod. The article was pretty interesting to me because the volume is usually turned pretty high up on my iPod. Whats worse is that I bought new headphones that are suppose to cancel out background noise.

    ReplyDelete