Thursday, September 30, 2010

Repairing Arguements

Argument:  You need to get to bed early.  You have two midterms tomorrow. 
Analysis:  The unstated premises that needs to be stated for this to be a valid argument would be, “Getting extra sleep can help you focus better and do well on tests”.  Also, it would help if the word “need” were changed to “should”.  The only thing that is absolutely true is that fact that you have two midterms tomorrow.  Another thing that could be added would be the statement that you do indeed want to do well on your midterms.  However, this is such an obvious standard that it does not even need to be stated in order to be understood.  Even without all of this extra add-on stuff, this argument is OK because the premises is more believable than the conclusion, and there is that one major unstated claim that you do want to do well on your test.  Assuming that the reader assumes this, the argument is believable even before repair, but better with. 

3 comments:

  1. I definitely wish I could get more sleep when I had mid-terms!

    Anyhow, I liked your example of an argument that needs repair. I feel like anyone who had any midterms this week or midterms coming up can relate to this. You explained it really well – especially the multiple premises that can be added to the argument to make the argument strong and valid. On the other hand, I feel like this argument would be difficult to explain or repair if the reader did not assume that they wanted to do well on his or her mid-term of if the student had a different view as to what ‘doing well’ constitutes. But the argument could still be repaired if this were the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your example for repairing arguments because my parents try and use that argument about getting to bed early all the time!
    Even though you can never go to bed early the night before a midterm because you're usually up late studying for it!
    You really explained how to repair the argument in a simple matter which helps me understand how to word certain arguments in a certain way.
    It's good to know that by changing a word or two in an argument, it helps make it a better argument. Now knowing how to make an argument a good one, I can use it to my advantage when I get into arguments and especially with my siblings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't everyone wish they had a little extra sleep before midterms rather than cramming all night? This was a very good example to relate to. Although, I do not understand how changing one word can make your argument better. All I know is that putting the word "need" into your conclusion sounds more assertive and authoritative. I guess you would not want that vibe coming off to the people you are trying to persuade, right? So I guess putting "should", should more friendly and suggestive and readers are more inclined to listen to what you have to say? Is that it?

    ReplyDelete