Thursday, December 9, 2010

Favorite Concept

My favorite concept that we learned from the book was how to refute arguments.  I feel like this was by far the most applicable to my life and also it came up a lot in our final project.  This is when I could really see how forming arguments was important, but refuting them was equally important, especially in our mock business world setup.  In making decisions such as who to hire, being able to consider what someone says and then think of the pros and cons logically and be able to weigh them out loud in an argument is an extreme advantage.  The individuals participating in our group who were more skilled at it than others stood out tremendously and seemed to me to be most likely to actually be in a position of power like we set up at a meeting, being able to decide who to hire and not hire.  I hope this skill in particular will take me far in whatever line of work I end up going into. 

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have had this same reaction that you had to refuting arguments but I found refuting arguments to be a bit confusing and one of the concepts that I didn’t like very much because I had a difficult time understanding it. However, I do agree with you that refuting argument is one of the most helpful topics we covered. It seems like refuting arguments does appear in real-life, I just never noticed it until I put a name to what I was hearing or talking about. I also see how refuting an argument can be applied to our group facilitation paper, much like the concept would be in real life.

    ReplyDelete